Friday, November 11, 2011

One day isn't enough!

When I think of Veterans I think of both my grandfathers. I think of my friends that have gone to Iraq and Afghanistan…some never to return. I think of 9/11, of D-day… of Arlington Cemetery and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. I fathom how someone could run towards open fire knowing that they very well may not survive…
I admire them so much for believing in something so strongly that they are willing to sacrifice their life to protect it. I admire their families for standing by them, supporting them and staying strong for them. I admire it all because at the end of the day I don’t know if I would be able to sacrifice the same things that they do. Don’t get me wrong, I am very proud to be an American. I love our flag and what it stands for. To me, it seems selfish to only have one day where we collectively stop and acknowledge those who have served.
I hear friends talk about which branch is better. About how one does more than the other. Maybe that is true, maybe it isn’t…but at the end of the day Army, Navy, Marine Corps, Air Force, Coast Guard; wartime or peacetime, they all serve a purpose and defend our nation. For that, I thank every single one of them; past, present and future.



Visiting the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in 2009
 One trip I will never forget...

No comments:

Post a Comment