Thursday, May 3, 2012

Home Tour- Living/Dining

Well, I mentioned in my post on Monday about doing a house tour and a few of you said you'd like to see it. Even though my home is still a huge work in progress, I figured I would start slowly and work my way through the house. I am thinking I should start with the room that I am least happy/finished with so that way you will get to see my changes when I am done.

My living room and dining room have probably come the furthest, but also have the furthest to go. I still need to find curtains, two area rugs (one for under the table and one for under the sofa/chairs.), a side table and a surprise piece that I am having designed on Etsy for behind my hutch. With that said, about 6 months ago there was ugly wall to wall carpeting in this room (ick), an empty space where the table is and an uncomfortable sofa (according to Michael) with two hand-me-down chairs randomly scattered throughout. Honestly, it was slightly embarrassing because it is the first room you see when you walk into our home. Plus, our house is about as open of a layout as you can get, so I could never get away from it.

After we got married I told Michael that I was redecorating and that he needed to give me a budget. He did, and this is what I've created (so far)...

This is the view of my dining room from the entry table. Keep in mind that I am having a special piece created on Etsy to go behind the hutch. I can't wait until it comes in!!

We have 5 chairs and a bench that is hiding on the other side of the table that seats 3 people. We went with a bench/chair combo because I want my dinning room to feel a little country and a little shabby chic. The size is perfect and holds a group of us for poker nights or family dinners. I absolutely love my set and can't wait to use it when we host our first annual Mother's Day Brunch next weekend.

This is the view from the kitchen/family room. The door you see is our front door...

There's our bench. :)
Our living room/dinning room is one large room, so this is the view you see from our master bedroom hallway. It gives you a better idea of how bare it looked when there was just a sofa and two small chairs.

Our sofa is a sleeper sofa and so comfortable. The fabric is a cream colored linen and I couldn't love it anymore than I already do. Now if only I could find a rug and end table to complete the look...

 Would you believe that we bought this table for $30 at a garage sale? Michael sanded it down and re-stained it so it matched the other furniture, but I fell in love with it when I saw it. He thought I was crazy (probably because he saw work in his future) but I had a vision! I'm telling you, garage sales are the best!

Here are my fun, punch of color chairs that we got to offset the wood and the linen sofa. I loved the two-toned look when I saw them and thought the pattern was so much fun, yet classy enough that I wouldn't get tired of them in a few years. What do you think?

So that officially wraps up the living room/dining room portion of our tour. I am anxiously awaiting the completion of this room, but refuse to buy things just to buy them. I am taking my time with it because I have a feeling that this room is going to be one of my favorites in the house!

6 comments:

  1. Love it - your living room looks so comfy!!! Where did you get that red pitcher on your coffee table? It's so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh I love home tours! Those chairs are amazing (: Can't wait to see the rest of the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Garage sales ARE the best :) I love seeing what treasures I can find!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First, love the bench chair combo for dining rooms! Second, I love your style. We have that similar rustic shabby chic style. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am about to move out into my own little apartment, so lately I have been loving looking at furniture and things to just decorate! Girls just love that stuff! haha, it looks great, keep it up!
    Have a great rest of your day!
    ~Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. wall carpeting ... i grew up with wall carpeting. ick is right! everything looks great and that table! $30?! you have got to be kidding.

    ReplyDelete